Monday, August 11, 2008

"The Story of a Bag..." A correspondence so touching that we asked (Felix) if we could share it with you

From: Felix Köhler Subject: the story of a bag bought 8 years ago
To: loveshinenyc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 5:08 PM

Dear Mark, Dear Mike,
I am not writing to you because I just ordered two bags. I guess Im writing because Id like you to know how happy I am that youve got an internet shop and most of all that youre still around and still producing these amazing bags. The (up until now) only bag I bought from you I bought in the year 2000, during my first and only trip to New York. Ive had it for eight years and basically used it every day until it got stolen last weekend in a rotten club here in Berlin where I didnt even enjoy myself properly in the first place. I was completely shocked, couldnt believe it and my friends had to more or less drag me out of that club because in my drunken stubbornness, I insisted on checking every corner three times at least. I dont know how often you hear this, but over the years Ive heard so many great bags, wheredidyougethats and ireallylovethatbagofyoursses that it became something like an integral part of my style as a member of generation courier bag. At quite a few of these opportunities, I told the tale of how I got lost in New York on a scorching hot day and found this shop that produced these bags and strange masks I hadnt seen before, and how I went in and there were these two really nice guys who were actually sitting behind their sewing machines. And as I was lost, I had to buy this bag immediately because I couldnt be sure if Id find the shop again. Even though people asked me quite a number of times, its only now that I realize I never checked if your address was on the label inside the bag - so Im afraid I didnt help you to any significant business… but Ill recommend your web shop now ;-) I still remember the day I bought it, because I really didnt have that much money at the time and the trip alone had cost me a fortune. The bag was more or less the only souvenir I got (except for a hat I got as an unofficial gift from someone who had been working at KrispyKreme Doughnuts in the basement of the WTC, but that is another story). It was probably the most expensive accessory I had bought until then, but I fell in love with it immediately. The motif on the flap (?) was a green-eyed woman whose left arm touched a serpent, but kind of merged with it, as the arm was green where it touched the snake. I was kind of hoping to find the same one again when I started looking for your shop on the internet. But maybe its not too bad Im getting something new now, because maybe its not too good an idea to feel so attached to inanimate objects anyway. But this bag was special to me, and maybe thats why Im writing this lengthy message, maybe this is something like a funeral oration ;-) Just to provide you with some info on the durability of your products: the material survived really well, even though I had to take the bag to a tailors a couple of times to have the shoulder strap fixed to the bag again. And now I remember I had its interior lined with new cloth after it got its first hole last summer. Seven years til the first hole is really good for a bag used every day, i.m.h.o.. Thanks for reading this far and best wishes, keep up the good work,
yours Felix
Berlin - Schöneberg

No comments: